Thursday, March 22, 2012

Next to Godliness

by Drew Martin

Each swallow works hard to be perfect pilot-provider-builder-trainer-teacher-lover-mate, no half-true hate! So, each day like a bird, perfect thyself first!

I read these words this morning on my Dr. Bonner's peppermint soap bottle. I have been a fan of the soap since my late teens and it is the product I am most consistent with and loyal to. I love the soap, packaging and message.
This past weekend I watched an excellent documentary about Dr. Bronner, his soap, the company, and  his children and grandchildren: Dr. Bronner's Magic Soapbox. Click on the link to the left to see a preview on YouTube.

Here is the blurb from Netflix...Brilliant chemist, Holocaust survivor and mental hospital escapee, Dr. Emanuel Bronner invented his famous Magic Soap and founded the environmentally concerned company that's just as popular today as it was among the counterculture in the 1970s. This documentary captures the complexity of Bronner's relationship with his son Ralph, who spent years in orphanages and foster homes as his eccentric father sought to unite all mankind.

Pictured here: my own stash...a bottle of Dr.Bronner's Magic Soaps 18-in-1 Hemp Peppermint Pure-Castile Soap, a wrapped bar of this soap and an unwrapped one I just started working on.