Saturday, January 24, 2015

Daily News Delivery Truck Gets Stuck in Snowbank Because of Low Readership!

by Drew Martin
It sounds like a cheap headline: Daily News Delivery Truck Gets Stuck in Snowbank Because of Low Readership! but here is what happened.

I got up this morning at 4:30am, did sit-ups for half an hour and then shoveled snow for two and a half hours from our steps, driveway, and corner property sidewalk. Then I went for my run. I love to run after a big snowfall because the streets are soft, it is quiet, and everything has transformed overnight into fluffy, white objects.

On the way down the steepest hill I meet a desperate man trying to get his delivery truck out of a snowbank. It was a delivery truck for the Daily News. The side door was rolled open but there was only one small stack of papers. I broke off some evergreen tree branches, put them under his tires for traction, and pushed. Another man stopped his car, got out, and helped. The hill was too steep to push him forward so we pushed his truck sideways, into the road, and then I advised him to go back down the hill and told him an alternate route that was less treacherous to get to the place he was trying to drop off the papers.

He was extremely thankful, and explained that because readership of the paper is down, his truck did not have the weight it needed to have a grip on the road.


I continued on my run, went up another hill and took this picture. No news is good news.